Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

[Tawain] - Danshui Market 淡水夜市

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usIf you read up on my Shilin night market post, you know how much good food there is in Taiwan. But the best part? there are actually multiple markets in Taiwan! I wish I had the chance to go to all of them, but it would probably take quite a bit of time and a toll on my waistline!

This market we went to in Danshui is definitely not as popular and infamous as the huge one in Shilin, and it's also a little further away from the heart of taipei (about 40 mins train). It's were the touristy Lover's Bridge is located, and in a nearby train stop of Beitou is where all the hot springs are.

I went in the morning this time as opposed to night time when I went to the Shilin Market, and the atmosphere is completely different. It's less crowded, but also has less of a night market sensation where there are 5,000 things to see and 5,000 simultaneously occurring around you. I guess it's more tame in the morning, and it lacks the buzzing night market vibe. 

In terms of food, the Danshui market also does not have as big a selection. The market itself is about maybe 1/4 the size of the Shilin market, but we did find some food items we didn't see at the Shilin.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Honey coated potatoes. these smelled so good!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Barbequed squid. Since we had it last time at Shilin, I decided to save my stomach for something else.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Fish ball stall

These stands reminded me of a cafeteria. All the food is just sits in heat lamps until someone orders it. Surprisingly, it didn't taste like its been out for that long. I guess they have good turnover.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Deep fried fish balls and octopus balls.

They use this seasoning that's slightly spicy and was so tasty!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Dragon's Beard Candy Stall
I'm sure this stall sells other items as well, but what attracted us here was the fact that they sold dragon's beard candy. It's essentially a cotton candy floss wrapped around a sugary filling (usually crushed peanuts and sugar).


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We bought one box to try between the four of us. There's a picture of a dragon with a long beard on the box...how appropriate.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Dragon's Beard Candy (NT 50 or $1.66 CAD)

The plastic carton slides out of the box, and there are 6 individually placed candies. If it wasn't so messy once you bite into it, I would've taken a picture of the inside to show you the filling. I wouldn't say these are the best I've had. Surprisingly the ones that you can get at Pacific Mall in Toronto are better.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This entire market seemed to be filled with carts and stalls that sold endless variations of deep fried food. It almost felt a little like being at the CNE. How does everyone here stay so skinny?




One of the deep fried food stations that caught our eye, was this one shown above. The reason being, is that it sold deep fried durian! It's one of Elina's favourites so there was no doubt she was the first to buy one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They also had deep fried taro (far left), along with 2 different types of durian.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Deep Fried Durian

I personally didn't get one for myself, but I had a bite of my friend Elina's. I was amazed at how they got the seed out, and how they got it to be so flat. I know lots of people don't like durian because of its strong taste and smell, but I personally don't mind the pungent flavours at all. I thought this was good, but if you are more adverse to the taste and more importantly the smell, I'm happy to announce that you don't notice it at all in this deep fried form. It was toned down by the batter, and somehow the deep fry process got rid of almost all of the smell.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

All around the sides of the market are places where you can actually sit down to eat. I wouldn't classify it as a restaurant, more so a food stall that has seats. Either way, we chose this specific place to eat because of all the interesting food items that we've never seen or tried before.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

One of these interesting food items was the arcade. No, it has nothing to do with video games or even electronics. It's just a phonetic translation of how it sounds like in chinese.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Arcade (NT 35, or $1 CAD)
When it came, my literal first impression was that it was a blob with red sauce. I didn't know what it was, what would be inside, or how it would taste.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Then we broke it open, and realized there was stuff inside! It was essentially a tofu pocket, filled with glass noodles.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was actually very tasty. The sauce looks spicy since it's so red, but it's actually sweet. Since I love tofu, glass noodles, and sweet, this was right down my alley.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice 滷肉飯 (NT 25, or $1 CAD)


You can get this at many places in Toronto, but I'd have to say this is the best I've had so far. It doesn't come with vegetables or hard boiled eggs like some of the other places, but the only two ingredients that matters was well done, which is all that really matters. The marinate on the pork was really well cooked and flavoured! If you plan on eating this for lunch, you better order 2, these are quite small!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Dumpling Noodles (NT 35, or $1 CAD)

For $1 CAD, this is a lot of food. it comes with 4 pork dumplings, spaghetti like ramen, and a seaweed broth. I don't think I've ever had a cleaner soup base before. It's flavored only by the parsley and green onions in it, so it's very very mild. 


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Stinky Tofu

Back out on the street for more food! In an earlier post, I mentioned that there is a list of things that you have to eat when your'e in Taiwan. I'm proud to say that we crossed off another item on that list that day. It's name is quite descriptive of what it is, and some people are extremely put off by the smell (just like durian). I think it's more of an acquired taste. I'm not in love with it, but I think once you get past the smell and actually taste it you don't even notice the smell. It just tastes like regular tofu.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
My friend HY enjoying his Stinky Tofu. He said it was really good!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I didn't actually order anything from this stall, but it was so cute I had to snap a picture!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They make these red bean filled cakes. They really do cram a lot of red bean in there. More bang for your buck!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another popular food item in Taiwan are these ice creams. What's so special about them you ask? Well, just as the picture above the machine shows, they make these ice creams really tall!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Ice cream lady filling up a cone a tall ice cream


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Left: Taro flavoured, Middle: Mango Flavoured, Right: Green tea and Mango flavour twist 
(small: NT 15 or $0.5 CAD, Large: NT 25, or $1 CAD)

As cool as they look, I am dissapointed to say it's not that tasty. It's also not as tall as some of the ones I've seen in other people's phtoos. It's wasn't too creamy or smooth, and really icy in texture. If you are looking for something more like a sorbet, then maybe this would be more suitable.  But for a hot day, and the equivalent of $1 canandian, I thought it was worth it.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

One of the things I really liked about this market, is that at the end of it, there is a nice harbour. My friends and I sat there while we ate our ice creams (which by the way melted incredibly fast in the weather). It was a nice view and made the trek up to this market well worth it.