Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Friday, May 20, 2011

Ye's Sushi

Location Review:
583 King Street North
Waterloo, Ontario
(Major Intersection: King St. N, Northfield Dr. W)





The other day I was in Waterloo doing some recruiting for my company, and the one day trip there just brought back so many memories...including food! As a result, I have decided to make some tribute posts to some of the food I've had there throughout my university career....starting with the best of the best: sushi! =)


(note that these pictures are from a couple different occasions that I went, so they might all look a little different from each other!)


 Seaweed Salad
Ye's actually offers a couple salads on the menu, but this is probably the most popular one. There is another crab salad that is quite popular too, which is basically shredded imitation crab over lettuce and sauce. I think this is the only restaurant I've been to that actually serves seaweed salad in the most literal terms: seaweed over lettuce. At first I felt like I was wasting valuable stomach space by eating lettuce, but later on I didn't mind it too much. The salads often come with a heavy heaping of Japanese sesame dressing, so often I would just order mine with no dressing.

Salmon Sashimi, Spicy Salmon Sushi, Flying Fish Roe Sushi


Left: Spider Roll, Center: Spicy crispy salmon roll, Right: Queen Roll
The rolls here are generally very well made. They're not loaded up on rice, and everything is held up tightly. I would definitely recommend trying the spider roll here, despite the fact that sometimes it comes with a little too much mayo. I guess just pray your chef uses a light hand that day.


Top: Taro Chips, Bottom: Edamame
I remember the very first time we decided to try taro chips. We were so pleasantly surprised about how good it tasted! They are just thinly sliced, crispy deep fried pieces of taro and a ton of seasoning. From what I recall, the edamame is really hit or miss here. Sometimes it'll be soggy and over-salted, other times it'd be perfect.


Spicy Crispy Salmon Hand Roll

Easily the best thing here. I don't know what it is, but the spicy sauce they serve here is just irreplaceable. I've tried to look around in Toronto for a comparable spicy sauce, but till this day have not been successful. The seaweed they use here is always so crispy and good. When I'm getting full at the end of the dinner, sometimes I'll unroll everything and just eat the seaweed. I also really like that they don't mash up the salmon into the spicy sauce. Personal preference, but it feels less like I'm eating baby food that way.


Considering I've eaten here for five years straight, I have grown very accustomed to it. I've literally watched it evolve over the years. The countless menu changes, the expansion of new restaurants, the tiny changes in food preparation/presentation, and even the turnover of their staff. It's like I grew up with it or something! I may be biased, but Ye's is probably up there on my list of best AYCE sushi places ever. And since they've now grown to locations (with more anticipated to be opened), I guess this means there must be others out there who agree with me!

EDIT: I just found out that they actually have an AYCE loyalty card now! I wish they had this back when I was in university....

Ye's Sushi Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment