Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Friday, May 13, 2011

Phoenix Restaurant

Review Location:
8190 Bayview Avenue
Thornhill, Ontario
(Major Intersection: Langstaff Rd. & Bayview Ave)





So it's been a while since I posted, but its partially because I've been sick! I'll try to make up for it, starting with this one! The other day I came to this Phoenix for dinner. I' believe this location is a branch of the one near woodbine and Steeles, but the sign on the outside sure was similar. The inside was really really pretty. It had a red glowing ceiling with butterflies, and a some other decorations on the wall that made it seem like some sort of enchanted forest. I couldn't resist and took a picture (while people stared at me..). We ended up ordering 3 dishes.


Hainanese Chicken Rice
At the other phoenix location, this is one of their well known signature dishes. So I decided to order it again, and I'm really glad I did. The chicken was one of the best I've had. It was so lean and tender. The fact that the chicken was de-boned was definitely a bonus! I kind of wish the rice came with the coconut scented oil drizzled over it, but none the less a very good dish.


Ying Yang Pork Chop Baked Rice with Cheese
This dish probably tastes exactly like it sounds and looks. The concept of incorporating the ying yang sauce on pork chop rice was interesting, but I don't think it matched well at all with the cheese. The sauce was too sour in my opinion, and it almost made the cheese taste like it had gone a little off. Definitely wouldn't be a dish I would get again.



Crab Roe Seafood Fried Rice
This dish was probably my favourite. We actually ordered this because Ashley and Hana (6 and 8 year old girls) came here a while back and said it was the best thing they've ever had. So obviously it was something I needed to try. The dish was very flavourful but wasn't too over the top. It was essentially a glorified seafood fried rice made with lots of teriyaki sauce. But it came together quite well. The rice was loaded with the little crab roes which gave it a good texture. I now declare this dish both adult and child approved.



In a nutshell the food was quite good. I'd say the portions are a little small compared to typical chinese places, but definitely enough. I thought the presentation of the food was quite nice, and all the dishes came out hot. Apparently the ice cream crepes here are also very good, so I anticipate coming back here next time to try!


Phoenix Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment